So you’re interested in going to BookCon well let me give you a few tips. Here in New York Book con takes places at the Jacob Javits Center. The convention has parts, one the industry insider “BookExpo” and one for the public “BookCon”. BookExpo is the leading trade event where insiders like publishers, authors, and booksellers gather. Reedpop puts on this convention. They also do New York Comic Con. You can grow your knowledge of the industry, learn from educational panels and make connections. If your really into a particular Author or Publisher and definitely if you are a up and coming author than you may want to spend the extra buck and attend at least one day of this convention. If you are just a lover of book PERIOD like me than BookCon is definitely the event for you. This event is two days this year (2019), June 1st and 2nd.
Here are a few tips if your going to attend book con and make the most out of it.
- Bring a large rolling bag. Who knew book were so heavy. The free books you get start to add up, you back will thank me. Don’t worry everyone is doing it!!! – make sure you double check this as rules may change.
- Bring snacks. Food is expensive and you don’t want to buy all three meals plus snacks from the center. $$$
- Follow all your favorite publishers and authors on twitter. Turn notifications on.
- Grab a book guide by BookCon on your way in. It will give me a map, a list of exhibitors and a schedule of events.
- Take a lap around and see what is there.
- The early bird gets the worm, free books have limited quantity.
- If you want to see a popular author and maybe get an autograph you will have to show up to the convention super early. Tickets are first come.
- Don’t be shy, you will be standing in line and you will probably run into the same people say hello make friends.
- Have a plan as to where to put books before you go.
- Wear shoes for walking.
- Bring external phone battery.
- Make a schedule in you phone and turn on notifications.
- Great gift for a book lover.
- Anything you don’t want donate.
- Make sure that if you want to bring a camera you look at the event’s camera and tripod policies.
- You will not be able to get everything, that’s ok.
I hope you find this helpful.
Your Geek Castor,