Making vegan pasta is a simple and delicious alternative to traditional pasta. Here’s a basic recipe for vegan pasta:
- 8 ounces (about 227 grams) of your favorite pasta (check ingredients to ensure it’s vegan)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes or 2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional, for heat)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs, such as basil or parsley, for garnish
- Cook the Pasta:
- Boil a large pot of salted water.
- Add the pasta and cook according to the package instructions until al dente.
- Drain the pasta and set it aside.
- Prepare the Sauce:
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for about 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Be careful not to burn it.
- Add Tomatoes:
- If using canned tomatoes, add them to the pan (with their juice). If using fresh tomatoes, add the chopped tomatoes.
- Stir in the red pepper flakes (if using) and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the tomato mixture to a simmer and let it cook for about 10-15 minutes. This helps the flavors meld and the sauce thicken.
- Combine with Pasta:
- Once the sauce has simmered, add the cooked pasta to the pan.
- Toss the pasta in the sauce until well coated.
- Transfer the vegan pasta to serving plates or bowls.
- Garnish with fresh herbs, such as basil or parsley.
Feel free to customize this basic recipe by adding vegetables, mushrooms, or protein alternatives like tofu or plant-based meat substitutes. Adjust the seasonings to your taste, and enjoy your delicious vegan pasta!
Making Vegan Pasta